Monday, January 10, 2011

No More Excuses

I haven't been to the gym in a long time. Like, a long time. I've been overweight my whole life and was pretty much in denial. I got sick quite often and my knees hurt constantly but I always blamed it on other things. I'd rationalize that I was a teacher, so I was constantly exposed to germs. I had a 3 wheeler accident in high school and messed up my knee so I'd attribute the pain to that. Maybe so, but it was also compounded by the extra weight. I also have PCOS, which makes it hard to lose weight and it was very difficult for me to get pregnant. I did not have an easy pregnancy, and I developed gestational diabetes. After having my son, I developed PPD and lost some weight because I was unable to eat. After overcoming the PPD, life settled into a routine and I started putting on more weight. In December of 2009 I finally had to admit that I wasn't healthy and had bloodwork done. I was diagnosed with type II diab.etes and I was terrified. My doctor said that it was possible to "shrink my way out of it," so I threw myself full force into losing weight. We joined the Y and bought a W.ii and I started eating healthier foods. I lost about 50 pounds by June and at my next doctors appointment she told me I was no longer considered diabet.ic! Because of the PCOS I will always be considered insu.lin resistant but I was so happy and proud of myself. We had a busy summer and I gradually stopped going to the gym. I continued eating pretty well and gave myself permission to "maintain" for awhile. Well, that stretched into a long time and soon the holidays were upon us. And we all know what that means. I started to feel the weight coming back, but swore I'd start up again after the holidays, definitely at the first of the year. Then I got my per.iod and gave myself until that was over. Yep, the same old drill. Well, it's now time to face the music. I have put about 8-9 pounds back on and that is unacceptable. I'm still 40 pounds lighter but I can feel a difference in my body. My knees had stopped hurting for the most part and now they are aching again. I am starting to slow down and I've been moodier. Could it be that I actually miss exercise? Crazy from someone like me, but it seems to be true. So, starting tonight I am recommitting to getting healthy. Back to the gym, no more excuses. Wish me luck!

No comments: