Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A scare

So, last month was Breast Cancer Awareness month and with the campaign so widely publicized, I started thinking about how I'd never had a mammogram. I'm 42 and I should have had one by now. I also haven't seen a gynecologist since John was born. Yeah, he's five now. So, I made a gynecology appointment because I needed a referral for a mammogram. A week before the appointment, I started having pains in my left breast and armpit. I have major anxiety, so I of course started thinking the worst and berating myself for not going sooner. I pictured John growing up without me, and every worst case scenario you can imagine. By the time I went, I had worked myself up into a major frenzy. I saw the gynecologist on a Tuesday and got a mammogram appointment for that Friday. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't terrible. Of course, I started my period the day before, so I was tender. Being on a Friday, that left me to stew all weekend long. First thing Monday morning, they called and said that I needed to come back in for additional views and an ultrasound on my left side. The earliest appointment I could get was Friday. What a week that was; my anxiety was terrible, and I was a wreck. I prayed so much, both for good results and for the strength to cope if the results were not good. Friday finally arrived and they did a spot compression which was a bit more unpleasant than the first mammogram but bearable. The ultrasound was next and then more waiting, but they told me that I would have an answer that day. It turned out to be a cyst, thank God. I have to go back in 6 months for another ultrasound to make sure it hasn't gotten any bigger. Turns out, my mom had the same thing when she was about my age. I am of course very relieved and so very thankful. After Mary passed away Russ and I neglected our health and found comfort in food. We both put on some weight, and are both being affected by it. I got a complete physical from my doctor and saw my gynecologist and had a mammogram. I have lost the weight that I put on, and am determined to lose more. Health is a precious thing, and not to be taken for granted. I am so grateful that my scare turned out to be nothing serious and I pray for those who are facing serious illness. The ultrasound tech told me that her son-in-law is facing his second bout with testicular cancer. Her daughter is pregnant with their second child, and their daughter is just 18 months old. He's only 33 years old. If you pray, please add him to your prayers. While you're at it, pray for the researchers that are trying to find a cure for cancer. Far too many precious lives are lost to this terrible disease. Hug your loved ones and tell them you love them every chance you get, for we are not promised tomorrow. God bless you.

No comments: