Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Adjusting

Russ was hired at a warehouse as a "temporary" employee. That basically means he was hired for 90 days to see if he would work out and if there were any full-time positions after the 90 days, he could apply but he wasn't guaranteed anything after his time was up. Well, a few weeks ago a full-time position opened up at one of the other warehouses and he applied for it, never thinking he'd get it because so many people were applying and most have been there much longer than he has. He is a hard worker and has made a very good impression on the managers there and he got it. This is good because he will receive health benefits, retirement, and all the things that come with full-time status. The drawback is the schedule. As long as we have been together, Russ has worked in the ballpark of 7am to 4pm or somewhere within that framework. And he has had weekends off, barring any delivery trips or emergency situations. His new hours are 1:30pm to 10:00pm and he is off Thursdays and Sundays. On Saturdays he works 9-5:30. This means we no longer have dinner together, and he's not here for John's bedtime routine. If I get a teaching job in the fall we will barely see each other at all. We both know that we need to do whatever it takes to get by, but this is difficult. The other warehouse is also much different from the one where he was trained and he hates it. It's much slower which makes the days seem so much longer. Now that he has transferred, he is not eligible to transfer back until after six months. I've worked jobs that I hated so I understand what he's going through and I wish there was something I could do to make it easier for him. He applied to the public works department where he worked before we moved, and I'm praying that comes through for him.

I'm not going to go into detail on this blog, but my parents are coming here this weekend. If you want to read the long version of my feelings about this, I've written a (LONG) post on my other blog.

No comments: